Au Gratin Potatoes are Yukon gold sliced potatoes baked in milk,
butter and cheese to create the creamiest potatoes!
Watch the video for this recipe!
Potatoes go with just about every meal. In my mind anyway. You guys I really have to watch it with the potatoes. I can eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner.
Like the recipe is especially my jam for breakfast. Pair them with some eggs and bacon and you will have a meal out of this world.
For dinner, you can keep it simple with our Plain Jane Mashed Potato recipe or these Au Gratin Potatoes. This recipe is pretty simple to make from scratch.
All you have to do is peel and cut your potatoes and add a few other ingredients. So lets get into it so I can show you how its done!
More recipes ---> Fried Breakfast Potatoes, Barbecue Pork Chops, Dutch Oven Fried Chicken Wings, Creamy Mac N Cheese, Lemon, Garlic and Onion Roasted Chicken, Purple Hull Peas and Okra, Fried Potatoes and Onions, Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Southern Fried Cabbage, Okra and Tomatoes with Sausage, Collard Greens, Black Eyed Peas, Brown Sugar and Pineapple Glazed Ham
Ingredients needed for the Au Gratin Potatoes:
- Yukon potatoes
- Sharp shredded cheese
- Whole milk
- Unsalted Butter
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
Steps to make the potatoes:
- Start with peeling and slicing the potatoes. You want to use a sharp knife to peel the potatoes to get the slices as thin as possible. You can also use a slicer if you have one.
- Rinse them well, and place them in a baking dish. Add the water to your dish and season the potatoes with onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Cover them with foil and bake for about an hour. Remove them from the oven and stir the sharp shredded cheese and milk into the potatoes.
- Also, sprinkle the top of the potatoes with the shredded cheese. Place your dish back in the oven uncovered and bake the potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Once the cheese is melted and the potatoes are tender, remove the dish from the oven.
Au Gratin Potatoes Tips
Yukon Gold potatoes are perfect for making Au Gratin potatoes. The potatoes have a distinct flavor which is perfect for Au Gratin potatoes.
They are firm potatoes, do not get too mushy when baked, but are still tender. That is exactly what you want, so I definitely recommend using this potato over any others.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Scalloped potatoes often do not include cheese.
Remove some of the liquid and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
It means that the dish is topped with cheese and baked until browned and tender.
**Shop my Amazon store to get cooking items used in our recipes!**
*There may be affiliate links in this description or video in which I may receive a commission at no cost to you*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel, slice and rinse the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes to a medium-sized baking dish.
- Pour the water over the potatoes.
- Season with salt, onion powder, and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake for about an hour.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven. Add the milk and shredded cheese throughout the potatoes. Also, sprinkle the top of the potatoes with the shredded cheese.
- Place your dish back in the oven uncovered and bake the potatoes for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are softened.
- Serve and enjoy!