Beef Meatballs in Mushroom Gravy are tender and flavorful
beef meatballs in a semi-light mushroom gravy.
Watch the video for this recipe!
This is a super-filling meal that I love to serve over either rice or mashed potatoes. I guess I'm different because I don't add bread crumbs or rice in my meatballs.
I like my meatballs somewhat firm and since I usually have rice or mashed potatoes on the side I just don't find it necessary because they still end up being juicy. To ensure that the meatballs remain juicy, roll them just enough to create the shape of a ball and try not to press them too tight.
Obviously, the tighter you press the meatballs when rolling them, the firmer the meatballs will become once cooked.
Don't worry, they will still hold their shape once you start cooking them. So lets get into it so I can show you how it's done!
More recipes ---> Oven-Baked Chicken, Dutch Oven Fried Chicken Wings, Creamy Mac N Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Au Gratin Potatoes, Lemon, Garlic and Onion Roasted Chicken, Jalapeno Hot Water Cornbread, Purple Hull Peas and Okra, Meatloaf, Fried Potatoes and Onions, Pan Seared Ribeye Steak
- Ground beef
- Seasonings: seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, garlic salt, black pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Yellow onion
- Minced garlic
- Olive oil
- Baby portabella mushrooms without stems
- Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
- All-purpose flour
- Hot water
Steps to make the meatballs:
To prepare meatballs:
Mix the beef, peppers, onion, and seasonings in a bowl. Roll the beef into golf ball-sized balls. In a large skillet, heat a few tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the meatballs to the pan.
Cook until the meatballs are brown, rotating sides every few minutes. Once the meatballs are brown, drain the excess oil. Sit the meatballs to the side while preparing the gravy.
To prepare the gravy:
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the bell pepper and onions to the skillet. Sauté for one minute. Next, add the mushrooms and sauté for one minute.
Add the flour and mix with vegetables. Spread the mixture evenly and cook until brown, stirring frequently. Once brown, add one cup of hot water and stir. Add an additional cup of water and stir. Add cream of mushroom soup and stir.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. If the gravy is too thick, add more water ½ c at a time until the desired thickness is achieved. Pour the gravy over the meatballs and simmer covered for about 20-30 minutes.
Of course, you want to taste the gravy prior to pouring it over the meatballs.
As the meatballs simmer they will flavor the gravy, but I always add a little extra seasoning at this point.
**Shop my Amazon store to get cooking items used in our recipes!**
*There may be affiliate links in this description or video in which I may receive a commission at no cost to you*
- 1 ½ lbs of ground beef
- ¼ c green bell pepper- diced
- ¼ c yellow onion- diced
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon seasoned salt
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- For the gravy:
- 5 tbsps olive oil
- 4 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon yellow onion- diced
- 1 tablespoon green bell pepper- diced
- 3 baby portabella mushrooms without stems
- 2 ½ cups of hot water
- 10 ½ ounce can of cream of mushroom soup
- To prepare the meatballs:
- Mix the beef, ¼ c of bell pepper, ¼ c of onion, and seasonings in a bowl.
- Roll the beef into golf ball sized balls.
- In a large skillet, heat a few tablespoons of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the meatballs to the pan.
- Cook until meatballs until brown, rotating sides every few minutes.
- Once the meatballs are brown, drain the excess oil. Set to the side until the gravy is done.
- To prepare the gravy:
- In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of bell pepper and 1 tablespoon of onion to the skillet. Sauté for one minute.
- Next, add the mushrooms and sauté for one minute.
- Add the flour and mix with vegetables. Spread the mixture evenly and cook until brown, stirring frequently.
- Once brown, add one cup of hot water and stir. Add an additional cup of water and stir.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and stir.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- If gravy is too thick, add more water ½ c at a time.
- Pour the gravy over the meatballs and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!