Grab a cup of coffee to go with these light,
moist Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins
topped with brown sugar and cinnamon crumble.
Watch the video for this recipe!
Fall is in the air and what do we like to do in the fall- bake of course! So these muffins are light, yet filling enough to be considered breakfast, but sweet and tasty enough for dessert as well.
These delicious muffins are topped with a crumble, very similar to the one used with our Apple Crisp recipe. This crumble adds a great balance of sweetness to these muffins. So let's get into it so I can show you how it's done!
You will need:
- All-purpose flour: 2 ¼ c for the batter and ¼ c for the topping.
- Granulated sugar: To sweeten the batter.
- Brown sugar: To make the crumble.
- Eggs: 3 large eggs (at room temperature) are needed.
- Butter: Room-temperature butter is needed for the filling. Cool/cold butter is needed for the topping.
- Sour cream: Adds moisture to the batter.
- Cinnamon: To make the crumble.
- Baking powder: To make the muffins rise.
- Salt: To balance the sweetness of the muffins.
- Vanilla: For added flavor.
Steps to make the muffins:
For the topping:
In a bowl, add the brown sugar, flour, and ground cinnamon and mix together. Then, add the cubed butter into the bowl and press the ingredients together with a fork until crumbles form.
Then, sit the mixture to the side while you prepare the batter. You can also use a pastry cutter to "cut" the butter into the mixture. I prefer to use a fork, but using either one or both of them will work.
For the batter:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray your muffin pan with cooking spray. In a mixer, add the butter and sugar, and cream together. (You can also use a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer.
Next, add the vanilla and mix. Then, add the eggs one at a time while mixing on low.
Next, add the sour cream until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure that the wet ingredients are blended well. Mix the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, and salt) and add them to the mixer.
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix on low until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Scoop the mix into the muffin pan, filling it about halfway.
I used a small ice cream scoop for this process. Then, top the batter with the crumble.
Place the muffins in the oven and bake them for 20 minutes or until you are able to insert a toothpick in the middle of them that comes out clean.
Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool before removing them from the pan. This recipe makes about 12-15 muffins.
What kind of coffee are you going to enjoy with these muffins? Let me know in the comments.
**Shop my Amazon store to get cooking items used in our recipes!**
*There may be affiliate links in this description or video in which I may receive a commission at no cost to you*
You may also enjoy:
Don't miss another recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Follow Whip it like Butter on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and TikTok!
See you there!
- For the topping:
- ½ c all-purpose flour
- ¾ c brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter- cubed (½ stick)
- For the batter:
- 2 ¼ c all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ c granulated sugar
- 3 whole eggs- room temperature
- ¾ c unsalted butter - room temperature
- 1 c sour cream
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsps salt
- For the topping:
- In a bowl, add the brown sugar, flour, and ground cinnamon and mix together.
- Add the (cold) cubed butter into the bowl and press ingredients together using a fork or pastry cutter until crumbles form. Then, sit the mixture to the side while you prepare the batter.
- For the batter:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray your muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixer, add the butter (1 ½ sticks- room temperature) and sugar and cream together.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Add the eggs one at a time while mixing on low.
- Add the sour cream until combined. Then, scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure that all of the wet ingredients are blended well.
- Mix the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, and salt) then add them to the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix on low until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Scoop the mix into the muffin pan, filling it about halfway, and then top with the crumble.
- Place the muffins in the oven and bake them for 20 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool before removing them from the pan.
How much cinnamon for topping? I got halfway through the recipe and realized I couldn’t find the cinnamon measurement. 1 tsp?
Whip it like Butter says
I'm sorry about that. Yes, 1 tsp of cinnamon. It has been corrected.
This has to be one of the absolute BEST pages I have ever been one.
Ashley Frederick says