Fresh Green Beans Seasoned With Onion and Bacon
are commonly called "Snap Beans".
They are generously seasoned with yellow onion and fried bacon.
Watch the video for this recipe!
Aren't green vegetables the best? Most of my favorite vegetables are green vegetables- collard greens, broccoli, green beans, almost any kind of greens as long as they are cooked.
There is nothing like fresh vegetables. I have been trying to incorporate fresh vegetables into my diet more often, but it's so easy to buy veggies frozen or in a can.
Well ya'll know I'm all about Sunday dinner, so I try to at least cook my veggies fresh on Sundays.
Cooking fresh green beans definitely brings back memories. I remember my mom and I used to sit in the living room and snap green beans together.
Hers would be shorter than mines are, but it really doesn't matter, snap them any way you like. By the way, they are often called "snap beans" because they actually snap apart.
When you snap these beans you will actually hear a snapping sound. So lets get into it show you how its done!
- Fresh green beans
- Yellow onion
- Bacon (reserve bacon drippings)
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
Steps to make the Green Beans:
- Start with snapping the ends off of the green beans. If you want shorter green beans, snap them in half. Rinse the green beans thoroughly and drain the residual water.
- While you are snapping the beans, cut your bacon into smaller pieces and fry the bacon until it is brown. Reserve the bacon drippings.
- Place the beans in a pot and add about two cups of water.
- Add the bacon drippings to the water. Also add diced onion, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Cover the beans and cook them for about 45 minutes until they soften. Remove them from the heat, serve and enjoy!
For this recipe, we didn't overdo it on the season to preserve the fresh taste of the beans. The seasoning used and the flavor from the bacon is all that you need!
**Shop my Amazon store to get cooking items used in our recipes!**
*There may be affiliate links in this description or video in which I may receive a commission at no cost to you*
You may also like:
The Best Southern Fried Cabbage
Don't miss another recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Follow Whip it like Butter on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and TikTok!
See you there!
- 6 c fresh green beans
- ½ c yellow onion- diced
- 3 strips bacon (reserve bacon drippings)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- 2 c water
- Snap the tips off of the green beans.
- While preparing the green beans, fry the bacon. Cut the bacon into smaller pieces and fry the bacon until it is brown. Reserve the bacon drippings.
- Rinse the green beans and drain the water. Then add them to a medium-sized pot with two cups of water.
- Season the green beans with diced onion, onion powder, pepper, salt, reserved bacon drippings, and stir.
- Cover and cook for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the green beans soften remove them from the heat and serve.
I love green beans!
They are super delicious!
Sweet Coralice says
These beans are finger licking good! I haven't made them in a while (I don't know why either) but I actually prefer them fresh than to the canned ones. The only time I use the canned is for my green bean casserole, lol 😉
Thanks so much! It's easy to get away from it sometimes. I've never made a green bean casserole, but I hear they are delicious!
Tereasa Mansfield says
Yum! I will be making this soon. I thought about green beans last night and opted for squash. Time to go back to the store!
Cool beans! I hope you love them!
This looks so delicious! Will definitely be making!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy!
Yummy! I love green beans seasoned like this!