Oven Roasted Cornish Hen are tender hens generously seasoned with onion, bell pepper and a blend of spices.
Watch the video for this recipe!
Cornish hens are so tender, juicy, and flavorful. As a matter of fact, I'll take bake Cornish hens over regular whole chicken any day. So lets get into the recipe so I can show you how it's done!
More recipes ---> Oven-Baked Chicken, Dutch Oven Fried Chicken Wings, Creamy Mac N Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Au Gratin Potatoes, Lemon, Garlic and Onion Roasted Chicken, Purple Hull Peas and Okra, Meatloaf, Fried Potatoes and Onions
Ingredients needed for Cornish Hens:
- Two Cornish Hens
- Seasoned salt
- Garlic salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Green bell pepper
- Green onion
(Note: The full ingredient list is provided in the recipe card below.)
How to cook the Cornish Hens:
Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the Cornish hens in a pan and dredge them with olive oil. Massage the oil into the hens.
Season the hens with seasoned salt, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika. Stuff the hens with onion, bell pepper, and green onion.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute for approximately three minutes. Add the green onion and sauté for approximately two minutes.
Remove the vegetables from the pan and spread them evenly over both hens. Cover the hens with foil and bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
Cornish Hens Tips
Definitely saute your vegetables before topping the chicken with them. Sautéed vs. raw vegetables on top of the chicken really makes a difference in the flavor.
Once cooked, if the hens are done, but not brown, turn on the broiler for a few minutes. To prevent the hens from drying out, be sure not to leave the hens broiling for too long.
Just broil them long enough for the hens to become brown and for the skin to crisp.
You may also want to remove the liquid from your pain prior to broiling them.
Make sure to reserve the liquid as you may want to use it to dredge the hens with it when you are ready to serve them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
They can be cooked at room temperature or directly from the refrigerator.
Store them covered in foil or in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The hens can be frozen for up to three months covered in foil and then placed in a ziplock bag or airtight container.
**Shop my Amazon store to get cooking items used in our recipes!**
*There may be affiliate links in this description or video in which I may receive a commission at no cost to you*
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the Cornish hens in a pan and dredge with olive oil.
- Massage ⅓ c of oil into the hens.
- Season the hens with ½ tbs of seasoned salt, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Stuff the hens with ½ c of onion, ½ c of bell pepper, and 2 stalks of green onion (chopped).
- Heat ¼ c of oil in a skillet.
- Saute ½ c of yellow onion and ½ c of bell pepper for approximately three minutes.
- Add the green onion and sauté for two minutes.
- Remove them from the pan and spread vegetables evenly over both hens.
- Cover the hens with foil and bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Remove the hens from the oven and allow them to rest before serving.