Oven Roasted Cornish Hen are tender hens generously
seasoned with aromatics and a blend of spices.
Watch the video for this recipe!
Cornish hens are so tender, juicy, and flavorful. As a matter of fact, I'll take bake Cornish hens over regular whole chicken any day. So lets get into the recipe so I can show you how it's done!
- Two Cornish Hens
- Seasoned salt
- Garlic salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Green bell pepper
- Green onion
Steps to make the hens:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place Cornish hens in a pan and dredge them with olive oil. Massage the oil into the hens.
Season hens with seasoned salt, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika. Stuff hens with onion, bell pepper, and green onion.
Heat oil in a skillet, add onion and bell pepper, and saute for approximately three minutes. Add the green onion and sauté for approximately two minutes.
Remove the vegetables from the pan and spread them evenly over both hens. Cover hens with foil and bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
Definitely saute your vegetables before topping the chicken with them. Sautéed vs. raw vegetables on top of the chicken really makes a difference in the flavor.
Once cooked, if the hens are done, but not brown, turn on the broiler for a few minutes. To prevent the hens from drying out, be sure not to leave the hens broiling for too long.
Just broil them long enough for the hens to become brown and for the skin to crisp.
You may also want to remove the liquid from your pain prior to broiling them.
Make sure to reserve the liquid as you may want to use it to dredge the hens with it when you are ready to serve them.
**Shop my Amazon store to get cooking items used in our recipes!**
*There may be affiliate links in this description or video in which I may receive a commission at no cost to you*
You may also like:
Don't miss another recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
- 2 Cornish Hens
- ½ tbs seasoned salt
- ½ tablespoon garlic salt
- ½ tbs cayenne pepper
- ½ tbs smoked paprika
- ¼ + c olive oil
- ⅓ c olive oil
- ½ c yellow onion
- ½ c yellow onion
- ½ + ½ c bell pepper
- 4 stalks of green onion -chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place Cornish hens in a pan and dredge with olive oil.
- Massage ⅓ c of oil into the hens.
- Season hens with ½ tbs of seasoned salt, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Stuff hens with ½ c of onion, ½ c of bell pepper, and 2 stalks of green onion (chopped).
- Heat ¼ c of oil in a skillet.
- Saute ½ c of yellow onion and ½ c of bell pepper for approximately three minutes.
- Add green onion and sauté for two minutes.
- Remove from pan and spread vegetables evenly over both hens.
- Cover hens with foil and bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven, serve and enjoy!