Classic Meatloaf is seasoned with bell pepper, onion, and spices
and topped with made-from-scratch seasoned tomato sauce.
Watch the video for this recipe!
Meatloaf is one of those dishes that I never get tired of. This is a simple, classic meatloaf. No need to over-complicate things. Meatloaf takes some practice to get the seasonings exactly the way you want them, but with a little love, it doesn't take very much to get it right.
So the theme of this blog is intuitive cooking right? And that is the exact skill that I use when cooking dishes such as meatloaf. Start off slow with the seasonings and then add more as needed. Once your meat becomes fragrant it is well seasoned.
This little trick works perfectly every time. Listen to your senses and intuition. Ritz crackers were used to bind the meatloaf. Grind them in your hand into small pieces.
Because the crackers are fine, they mix well with the other ingredients. So lets get into it so I can show you how it's done!
- Ground beef
- Seasonings: seasoned salt, garlic salt, onion powder
- Yellow onion- diced
- Green bell pepper- diced
- Ritz Crackers
- Tomato sauce
Steps to make the Meatloaf:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, add the beef, garlic salt, onion powder, yellow onion, bell pepper, crushed crackers, and eggs mixing together.
Place the ingredients in a loaf pan and cover with foil. Cook the meatloaf for 1 ½ hours.
To prepare the sauce, mix tomato sauce, ketchup, seasoned salt, and onion powder in a bowl. Pour meatloaf sauce over the meatloaf and place the meatloaf back in the oven and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven, and allow the meatloaf to rest for 10-15 minutes prior to cutting/serving.
To mix and bind the meatloaf together, I usually start off by mixing the ingredients with a spoon, but I'm old school, so after a few stirs I get in there with my hands.
A loaf pan was used for this recipe, but you can use a regular pan or pyrex dish and form the meat into a loaf shape.
**Shop my Amazon store to get cooking items used in our recipes!**
*There may be affiliate links in this description or video in which I may receive a commission at no cost to you*
You may also like:
Don't miss another recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- ½ tablespoon garlic salt
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ c yellow onion- diced
- ½ c green bell pepper- diced
- 2 whole eggs
Ritz Crackers - crushed
- For the sauce:
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- ½ c ketchup
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add beef, seasoned salt, garlic salt, onion powder, yellow onion, bell pepper, crushed crackers, and eggs mixing together.
- Press ingredients together in a loaf pan and cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours.
- To prepare the sauce, mix tomato sauce, ketchup, and seasoned salt in a bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the meatloaf.
- Place the meatloaf back in the oven and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving!